Gender Issues Intervention
Every effort is underway to integrate gender issues in various development programs in Nepal.Government of Nepal is trying to incorporate all the aspects concerning women on various policies and programs. Different issues pertaining to the concepts of women and their involvement are as follows:
Women health and reproductive health
In our society, women are discriminated and given less priority than man. Women have very few rights on matters relating to child birth, looking after a child, and educating a child. Following steps should be taken to overcome all theses problems:
Women and civil code
- Discrimination of women at household level should be abolished.
- The burden of women should be reduced on various activities like working in kitchen, carrying etc. Man should share equally in all thees tasks.
- Development of awareness towards the change of attitude on early marriage, preference of son etc. meed to be addressed and conduct effective programs on these aspects.
- Special care is needed for safe pregnancy and at the time of delivery, and also during abortion.
There is equal rights of every citizen and there is no discrimination against any citizen according to The Constitution of Nepal. It has provide equal rights to male and female. In the Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063, equal status of women has been established by amending limited rights of women on citizenship, employment, property etc. Women Commission has been established to give equal rights to women and also for the welfare of the women. Though rules and laws seem to have greater provisions, the implementation of theses provisions is weak. Women and violence
Violence can be defined as the activities that damage the physical and mental states. The acts of violence may be non-cooperation, trafficking , pressurizing etc. Women are found to suffer at homes and societies from different types of violence.
Some examples of violence against women are as follows:
Women and property right
- Family disputes due to alcohol drinking habits of husband.
- Family disputes due to different violence against women like calling her witch.
- Women is subjected to all kinds of troubles for not bringing enough dowries.
- The widows are heated in our society.
- Women are always not given cooperation and misbehaved in our society.
We can still find gender discrimination in our society. Women are not given equal shares in productive works. They do not have equal shares in property right.
Some comments on the women's property rights are as follows:
- Women's right on the parental property has not been established yet in our society.There is a provision that if women does not get married till her 35 years of age, she will get the share of her parental property.
- It is difficult to claim family or parental properties until the right of women on the basis of gender perspective is established.
- The empowerment of women through education may generate awareness towards raising voice or claim for acquiring the property right.
Things to remember
- Women have very few rights on matters relating to child birth, looking after a child, and educating a child.
- In the Interim Constitution of Nepal, 2063, equal status of women has been established by amending limited rights of women on citizenship, employment, property etc.
- Violence can be defined as the activities that damage the physical and mental states.
- There is a provision that if women does not get married till her 35 years of age, she will get the share of her parental property.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Gender Issues Intervention
Gender Equality: Now
Launching Demo's gender equality project in Dadeldhura, Nepal
Workshop on Gender Mainstreaming in Water and Sanitation Sector kicks off
Questions and Answers
Any sort of physical and mental harm is said to be violence. It includes physical-beating, non co-operation, pressure, trafficking, etc. various types of gender-based violence is found in society. Exploitation, torture, corporation, work load, scolding etc. are some example of gender based violence faced by women in society. Some examples of women violence are:
- Family quarrel occurs as a result of infertility. Increase of such quarrel results the violence.
- Only women are charged as witch. Social quarrel, scolding, torture etc are seen as social violence against women.
- Some of the women have to face the quarrel, physical torture and scolding for cause of dowry.
- Widowed women are also hated in our society.
Women are deprived of productive activities and skills oriented job in the society. The women property right chance is being minimized in the name of social and religious tradition. The parental property is given only to sons not to the daughter due to male oriented concepts and norms.
Some of the issues of property right are as follows:
- Women are not getting the parental property till now in our society. There is legal provision that female can get parental property right before marriage but they must return it after marriage.
- If a woman is unmarried up to 35 years, only then she can get parental property.
- Emphasis on education and empowerment to women may be the basis to achieve the parent's property right. It is necessary to gradually change the gender based tradition thinking and behavior.