Scope of Population Education
Population education has got a board scope with comprehensive subject matter as it is directly related with each and every human activity. Scope of population education varies according to the situation and need of the country. Consequently, its subject matters vary according to social, economic and political condition of country.
The scope of population education can be divided into the following five categories:
- Demography:It is the study of population and deals with the measurement and analysis of birth rate, death rate, migration rate, etc. Birth, death and migration are the major elements of demography. Population change is a biological process. Demography includes birth rate, death rate, sex ratio, dependency ratio, and age- sex pyramid and population growth rate.
- Determines of population change:Population change in a places takes place due to birth, death and migration. It also comprises biological, social and cultural aspects which directly affect the elements of population change. It also analyzes the factors like poverty, practices which influences population change.
- Consequences of population growth:Rapid population grow directly affects economic, social and environmental aspects of a place. The adverse effects of population growth on people's health are important parts of population education. It also deals with analysis of population growth and its consequences in daily life.
- Human sexuality and reproductive system:It includes the fundamental aspects of human sexual and reproduction process like sexual behaviors, development of human reproductive system and associated problems. This scope of population education helps to develop a positive attitude towards reproductive health.
- Planning for the future:It includes various aspects of population management like appropriate age at marriage and first conception birth spacing, family planning, family welfare and use of contraceptives.
Thus, population education is important for us to maintain sustainable environment.Population education helps and enables us to be aware of the process and consequence of population growth on the quality of our lives and the environment. The child gets and opportunity to investigate and explore the interaction between the population and their environments, population characteristics, the meaning, the nature of process. Population education helps to lift up our quality of life.
Things to remember
- Population education has got a board scope with comprehensive subject matter as it is directly related with each and every human activity.
- The scope of population education can be divided into the following five categories: demography, Determines of population change, Consequences of population growth, Human sexuality and reproductive system, Planning for the future.
- It includes every relationship which established among the people.
- There can be more than one community in a society. Community smaller than society.
- It is a network of social relationships which cannot see or touched.
- common interests and common objectives are not necessary for society.
Videos for Scope of Population Education
Human Population Growth - Crash Course Ecology
Population Limiting Factors & Carrying Capacity
Questions and Answers
Demography is the study of human population and is very essential in understanding population matters.
The scopes of population education are:
Demography deals with the study of human population about its size, structure, distribution and change. Birth, death and migration are three components of demography. Fertility, mortality and migration are three processes of demography. Demographic change is a biological process.
- Determining factors of population change:
This area deals with change in population due to process of birth, death and migration due to biological, social and cultural factors. Traditional and legendary values and norms, customs, cultural beliefs are also determining, shortage of health services and facilities are also factors of population change.
- Human sexuality and reproductive system:
This area includes basic factors of sexual behavior, development of sexuality and sexual problems, human reproductive system and reproductive process, distinction between male and female physical structure, role and characteristics. Thus, these subject matters provide the knowledge on means of regulating sexual behaviors.
- Consequences of rapid population growth:
Population growth has a big problem all over the world. There are many consequences of rapid population growth. Example: environment population, exploitation of natural resources, loss of diversity, increase in social evils and crimes and etc. Population education includes these factors and gives knowledge about them.
- Planning for future:
This field deals with the study and analysis on appropriate age at marriage, and first conception, birth spacing. Family planning, family welfare, means of contraceptive measure of roles of responsible parents etc. It helps to plan the future by changing reproductive behavior of the students who are the future parents.
Population education has broad scope. Scopes are the contents that are learnt and taught. It is related to each activity of human life. As a result, its contents and subject matter differs country according to the socio-economic and political situation. There are some scopes of population education. They are:
- Determining factors of population change
- Human sexuality and reproductive system
- Planning for future
The usefulness of population study are as follows:
- Population is a group of people living in certain area at certain time. Population pressure is the one of the greatest problem in the world. Population study has wide use in the political, social, and economic and administration fields.
- Population study is widely used in political sector. To conduct proper elections, government needs to know number of people in the country, total number of male, total number of female and the total number of voters. These statistical numbers can be obtained through the study of population.
- In administration fields, the planners need to know the proper population and population growth rate to manage the proper facilities according to the density of population. As natural resources are limited. So, these resources should be utilized for maximum possible population.
- Similarly, the field of economics also depends upon the study of population. As development and population should go side by side. It is necessary to know the rate of population creates serious economic crisis, poverty and social disorders. So, population study is necessary to check all these data.
The objectives of population education are:
- To develop rational and responsible attitude in students towards population situation.
- To make aware about the advantages of small family rather than large sized family.
- To enable students in decision making and have independent reproductive right.
- To provide knowledge about sex education.